Redeeming Grace PCA has a rich history in the Lake Wylie area of South Carolina. In one sense you could say it begins the history of the area. The church is the oldest institution in the area called "the Point," which makes up the current community of Lake Wylie, SC.
The church's beginnings go back to 1884 when families began meeting for worship on the current site. The picture to the left is the original step used to enter the sanctuary. The meeting place was called Bethel Chapel, as the people were members of Bethel Presbyterian Church (PCA) which is located about six miles east toward Clover, SC. In 1884, the rough roads made the six-mile trip to Bethel Church difficult, so the people sought out an area on the Point to meet. Mr. Robert Harper donated an acre of land, which is part of the church's seven acres today.
From today's perspective one can see that God intended to have an active evangelical church in the area to serve the thousands of new people he was going to send into the area in the next few years.
A small white-boarded building served as the meeting place for the Chapel members until 1930, when it was destroyed by fire. A brick building was erected as a replacement, and over the years additions were made to this building. In 1989, the congregation voted to begin a two-phase building project. The first phase was a new larger sanctuary. This was constructed in 1990, and followed, in 1994, by the addition of a multi-purpose building with education space and a gym-fellowship area.
The old sanctuary building was given to Friendly Hill Baptist Church of Lake Wylie and moved to their site. The old fellowship building was given to Good Samaritan Methodist Church and moved to their property. Both buildings are still in use today. God enabled the congregation to become debt free in 1999.
In 1959, the 64 members of Bethel Chapel decided to organize into their own particular church. The new church was named Scherer Memorial Presbyterian Church in honor of Dr. Tilden Scherer who served Bethel Church and Bethel Chapel from 1934-1950. Many years later, on June 4th, 2017, the church decided to change the name again to reach a fast growing and diverse community with the gospel. The name was chosen to emphasize and communicate that there is only one way in which man can be redeemed... by grace alone. The name was officially changed to Redeeming Grace PCA.
In 1973, the church members voted to leave the Southern Presbyterian Church denomination and become a charter member in the New Presbyterian Church In America (PCA). The PCA was founded to establish a denomination that was a scriptural, evangelical and reformed witness to Christ. The Word of God (the Bible) was to be the rule of faith and practice.
From 1959 until 1980 Scherer Memorial Presbyterian Church shared a pastor with Bethel Presbyterian Church. In 1980 the church called its first full time pastor, the Rev. James Simoneau. Mr. Simoneau served the church until the spring of 1988. In August 1988 the Rev. Rick Lindsay was called as pastor and served mightily until he was called home on April 7, 2015.
In September of 2015, the Pulpit Committee presented Rev. Aaron Morgan as their chosen candidate. On October 20, 2015, Rev. Aaron Morgan was voted as Senior Pastor of Scherer Memorial PCA.
In 2022, Aaron Morgan stepped down as Senior Pastor and, while the search began for the person to fill that role, Rev. Doug Stelzig stepped in as Interim Senior Pastor. In November of 2023, God provided, and Henry Beaulieu became Redeeming Grace's Senior Pastor.